Did you know?
With more than 384 million fish and chip shop meals (featuring fish) consumed a year, the traditional dish of fish and chips is still top of the league of Britain's favourite fast foods.
- Fish & chip shops sell 384 million meals a year, that’s six meals from a fish & chip shop every man, woman and child in the UK.
- 49% of these are fish and chips. This amounts to 187 million orders of fish & chips a year.
- Fish & chips are traditionally eaten at dinner – 80% of all fish & chip meals from fish & chip shops are bought during dinner hours.
- Cod is the most popular fish sold in fish and chip shops although haddock and other white fish species like plaice are also popular.
- Fish & chips have 9.4 grams of fat per 100 grams, beating other takeaways – the average high street chain burger has 14.8 and French fries have 15.5.
- Nearly a fifth of all fish sold in the out of home market comes from a fish & chip shop.